thoughts du jour

  • "Spend some time alone every day."- His Holiness the Dalai Lama

Monday 2 February 2009

Random acts of kindness- the series

Ages ago..like...June 2007, I started blogging on my Myspace blog a section called Random Acts of Kindness. I really thing the world would be a better place if people weren't so inconsiderate and selfish, so I started posting little tips on how to do nice things for people. So here it is again- in case you didn't get it...

When was the last random act of kindness you did? Or, better yet, when was the last act of kindness you did? What's the difference? Well, acts of kindness are everyday things- driving your mum around so she can get her errands done; holding a door open for a stranger; tipping the chic who makes you an awesome coffee in the cafe up the street; waking the person next to you on the train to make sure they haven't missed their stop; giving up your seat on public transport for the elderly, disabled or pregnant; helping a woman pick up the contents of her handbag off the footpath. Acts of kindness are things you are almost expected to do, and with every right.

Random acts of kindness are the completely unexpected, extremely pleasing (for both parties) and uncommon occurances. Things like: paying for the person in front of (or behind) you groceries, petrol or whatever else; or giving your all day train ticket to someone without expecting any money for it.

The last random act of kindness I did (which I do everytime I'm down there) is stick my parking ticket at Deakin back into the slot in the ticket machine where it spits it out. That way the next person who comes along to buy a ticket already has one!

Look, I'm not here to brag, I just want more people to do these things. Short of ideas? Here's a few- basically just reiterating the ones I mentioned above:

* next time you're in the express lane at the supermarket, pay for the person behind you
* next time you get petrol, pay for the person next to you
* next time you receive good service from a shop, ask to speak to the manager and TELL THEM HOW GOOD THE PERSON WAS!
* if you see a homeless person, buy them a meal

Ok, so look, I only have a few up my sleeve, but my point is if you do just one random act of kindness a day, or even a week, the world will be a much better place, and yes, it does make you feel awesome.

PEACE! :)
XOXOXOXOXOXOXOX

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed