thoughts du jour

  • "Spend some time alone every day."- His Holiness the Dalai Lama

Monday 2 February 2009

"Do what you love, the money will follow"

There's one thing I have never understood, and that is why students fresh out of school would want to hurry up and throw themselves into uni or a career without going out and experiencing life first. How can you really know what you want to do when you haven't even seen what's out there? Granted, I still don't really know what I want to do...or at least how to get it, and I'm nearly 27. But my two years overseas certainly opened my eyes at what's possible in the world, and what I do and don't like. If school and uni and work are the only things you've ever been exposed to in life, how do you know what you want to do is actually what you'll be happy doing?

Many of my friends went straight from school to uni. One of them is questioning why she is working where she is now, and another one is happy in a job totally unrelated to her degree, a job which didn't need any qualifications to begin with. Doesn't this tell us something?

Now that I have finished my Arts degree in PR and Journalism I am looking towards the next thing I would like to study- photography. I figure, why not become qualified in everything I'm interested in, which should arm me with enough knowledge and work to keep me reasonably happy for the rest of my life.

If you always keep in mind what you like doing and are truly interested in and passionate about then you should have no trouble finding the perfect career for you. Remember, do what you love, the money will follow. I can't remember who said that, but it's some pretty great advice.

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed