thoughts du jour

  • "Spend some time alone every day."- His Holiness the Dalai Lama

Tuesday 26 May 2009

Advice: the good, the bad, the ugly.

My last post got me thinking about advice. The good, the bad, the ugly. And the downright ridiculous. I've had some crummy advice in my lifetime. The one that stands out was the beginning of my VCE, year 11, when our teacher told us NOT to pick subjects just because we liked them, but to pick them because they're useful. You know. Like maths, english, and science. The smart subjects. The higher scoring subjects. It still makes me angry to this day that I was so naive as to listen to that god-awful advice. Don't pick a subject just because I like it? What great advice! I mean, I don't need to actually do WELL in the subject do I? Oh no, just passing it will be fine. And guess what? It will all be worth it ten years down the track when I find myself in a sticky situation and think "Gee I'm glad I stuck out general maths, or I'd never know how to change a tyre/manage money/stick to a budget." So what happened? I picked maths, because, you know, everyone needs to know how to count right? That's why calculators weren't invented. And then what happened? I FAILED. F.A.I.L.E.D.

But there has been many pieces of advice that I've taken hold of and kept with me throughout my life. Valuable pieces that have helped me through a plethora of circumstances and situations. 

1. Never rely on anyone but yourself (credit given to my mum)
This is a useful piece of advice for work, home, or anywhere really. If you never rely on anyone else, you'll never be disappointed, disillusioned, or dependent. While it's nice to have a partner do things for you, or work mates help you out, once you come to rely on them you lose control over your life because you're handing it over to someone else. This also counts for never relying on parents, spouses, friends, family, or children. The only person in the whole world that you KNOW you can rely on WITHOUT FAIL is yourself.

2. There's no such thing as "can't" (mum again)
If you want something bad enough, you'll get it, no matter what. If you don't get it, you don't want it bad enough.

3. Nothing in life worth having comes easy (some movie, but it really struck a chord)
The things that are really worth having in life are the ones you need to work hard for, and sometimes fight for.

4. If you don't make time to do the things you love, how can you be the best mother you can be? (Catherine Deveny)
This is so true. Too often lately have I been feeling guilty for wanting to forfeit my motherly duties for some peace and quiet, a good book, and some quality writing time. And for some reason I am overcome with guilt every time this thought pops into my head. But getting advice like this from someone who is successful at home and in a career is heartening.

There are other bits and pieces of advice I've lived by throughout the years, but these are the ones that have really hit home with me, and will probably stick through the rest of my life.

What are the most valuable pieces of advice you've ever received?


1 comment:

carly said...

hello there.

the best piece of advice iv ever got would have to be:

doing something to benefit yourself.

so rather than doing something to please others your better off doing it for YOUR reasons and your reasons alone. i.e. dont lose weight cause your partner thinks your fat [personally id lose him] but lose the weight cause you want to be fit and healthy.

great blog!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed